GA as a Strategy? (in General)
April 5 2005 7:58 PM EDT
I've heard that people used to use high-level GA as something of a strategy to defeat people on its own. I've been trying to puzzle through a way to do this or whether it's viable or not. Can it be done in any of the following ways? I'd think mages and endurance-wearers will be best-protected against this, and maybe the end-game mage damage and tank AC are enough to make this not work... but:
1) One tank with a ToJ; 1/4 AMF, 1/4 GA, 1/2 HP?
2) 4 minions, a ToJ, 3 x AS, 1 x GA?
3) 4 minions, a ToJ, 2x AS, 1 x GA, 1x AMF?
Is this possible? :D
April 5 2005 8:02 PM EDT
4 minion, 1x AMF 1XGA 1XAS and one 1/2 DM 1/2 GA would be interesting. With a ToJ of course. Maybe protection instead of GA on the last minion.
April 5 2005 8:05 PM EDT
I have a strat that used 1 minion with a ToJ and 1/2 AMF and 1/2 GA. Worked quite well. However, I'm not sure how well a ToJ can stand on its own later.
April 5 2005 9:30 PM EDT
strat - get the snot beat out of you!
half HP, half GA
sounds good to me :p
April 5 2005 10:04 PM EDT
3 AS, 1 GA, that's it.
Takes a whole lot of DM to nuke that strat...
April 5 2005 10:39 PM EDT
There were several such viable characters in CB1.. I think there was a "die by your own hand," among others.. (Looking at that char now, it has weapons etc equipped, so may have been modified, but it's an acceptable farm team).
Given the spells, maybe toss a CoBF or Mage Shield as well.. I've seen GA hit friendlies for FB splash damage, does GA also hit friendlies for CoBF splash damage ? (may invalidate using such objects..)
(Though a mage shield would reduce the damage one takes, thus reducing the GA hit-back..)
April 6 2005 1:49 AM EDT
If someone gets the guts to do this, please, please apprise us of how you do. I'd love to know. It'd be fun.
April 6 2005 1:53 AM EDT
1. If they have just one enchanter and they can kill your ToJ before melee, then guess what, you stalemate every time, which absolutely nukes your rewards.
2. ToE mages, like you mentioned, would rip you to shreds, because they get 70% of the AMF knocked off, (which, on my single mage works out 1/10 of damage I inflict) and 70% of the GA damage reduced (which also works out to about 1/10 damage)--and you don't have 5x their hitpoints.
3. DM steals levels from EACH defensive enchantment, so, if they had a DM equal to your AS/GA it would remove 80% of the effectiveness of BOTH. So it wouldn't take that high a DM to crush either of the 4 minion strats.
4. If they're not morons and they actually have upgraded their armor then your GA will be largely ineffective, especially if you have a tank with VA. VA + 150 AC >> GA.
In other words, I think it's a terrible idea.
April 6 2005 2:06 AM EDT
grant you're one of the first people I've seen use a single mm mage (besides myself)...is it working well? cause i stopped mine, I didn't think it would stay effective...
April 6 2005 2:09 AM EDT
interesting... I thought single mage + ToE = utter domination, just pick your spell. But it looks like they're all either fireball or cone of cold. Why is that?
April 6 2005 3:34 AM EDT
Fireball is for those who like to deal damage during ranged and don't fight many people with CoBFs. CoC is for those who have large ToEs to withstand enough damage to make it into melee and do more damage that way.
1) FB+DM. Aim is to kill everyone as fast as possible. Although FB+AMF can work, you're better off choosing another DD if you take AMF. Very powerful, but stopped entirely by CBF s.
2) CoC+AMF. Aim is to last till melee, then blast everyone with a high damaging (more resistant to MgS) attack.
3) MM+AMF. CoC is replaced so mage can do damage in ranged, and damage is concentrated on a single target.
All mages benifit heavily from ToE s (AMF backalsh + GA hurts).
Grant and IronGiant, you guys should really add at least a base Protection to your mages. AC+Protection (even mediocre levels of both)+ToE = Durability.
h and as for GA, I didn't think it returned more than 50% of the damage inflicted, no matter what the size of your GA is.
Which really limits this type of tactic to multiple minions.
i fight a couple chars like this on CB1....one word comes to mind. Stalemates....lots of em :P
This thread is closed to new posts.
However, you are welcome to reference it
from a new thread; link this with the html
<a href="/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=001HE2">GA as a Strategy?</a>