How to make your new year's resolution come true... (in Off-topic)
Want to set a new year's resolution? Telling everyone what it is can help you make it come true.
Your resolution should be:
- specific. Instead of "get in shape", say "exercise at least 20 minutes every day" or "lose 30 pounds" instead of "lose weight".
- measurable (Otherwise, how do you know you really did it?). Make it so another person can look at what you've done and say "yes, you did it". Also, actually measure how you're doing on a regular basis so you know if you're making progress.
- attainable. That is, something that's possible for you to do.
- reasonable/realistic. That is, something you honestly believe you can do.
- time-limited. What's your deadline for ticking this one off your list?
This year I will:
- Exercise as per the guide in John Walker's Hacker's Diet . I will do this every day for the year, no excuses (even if I'm sick and have to drop down to an easier level of the ladder). I aim to reach level 15 by June 1st and level 20 by Dec 1st. (Will review the goal level each month as I get a better idea of how well I progress).
- Take my wife out on a real date at least once per month. This means an activity we would not normally do at part of our daily life and does not include any regular activities we might sign up for together. These dates will not include our children.
So... what are yours?
January 4 2006 3:21 PM EST
Our resolution is to decide once and for all where the Beee family is going to settle.
We've moved about a bit over the last few years and the bug just hasn't got out of our system yet. We are either emigrating to Australia or we're putting our roots down in sunny Scotland for keeps. Paperwork gets started within the next 8 weeks when wifey finishes her college work and if it looks like we're gonna get accepted and find good housing and jobs over there - then we're off.
2006 will be a big year one way or another. Stay or go we'll know within the next 6 months.
January 4 2006 3:41 PM EST
I stopped smoking, and on the 4th day I am ready to cut someone.
January 4 2006 3:43 PM EST
You mean you're more grumpy than normal wuss?
grats wuss, I made it two days before my desire to tolerate other humans won out...I'll be trudging along with you soon enough...
As far as resolutions, I only really made one, That I wouldn't have to do anything I didn't want to this year...
Hm, I forgot to make a resolution this year. Oh, well.
:I stopped smoking, and on the 4th day I am ready to cut someone.
- I blame the schools.
This thread is closed to new posts.
However, you are welcome to reference it
from a new thread; link this with the html
<a href="/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=001eko">How to make your new year's resolution come true...</a>