DBs and Mages (in General)

miteke [Superheros] June 19 2005 4:31 PM EDT

Is it worth it for a mage to wear DBs? DBs add evasion which reduces the to-hit bonus, but does that really matter when your wearer has a 20 dex and the attacker has 100K+ dex?

BrandonLP June 19 2005 4:33 PM EDT

Depends on your definition of worth. I believe they'd be useful in avoiding doubles/triples.

QBRanger June 19 2005 4:34 PM EDT

If you have a 20 dex mage, count on being double hit every round vs most decent tanks. The DB's are effective in stopping triple hits which can be very worthwhile if you have lots of hp on your mages.

And if they are very high DB's, with the new changes, they can decrease the doubles.

AdminQBGentlemanLoser [{END}] June 19 2005 5:04 PM EDT

The two dex based attacks per attacker are based on a percentage relationship of the two fighters dexterity.

At equal dexterity, both fighters have a 50% chance of landing 1 blow on each other. As far as I can figure, each 1% gap in dexterity gives an equivalent 1% change to your chance to hit.

For example, if you have a dexterity 10% higher than your opponent, you have a 60% chance to hit, while they have 40%.

Dexterity can lead to double hits per round, and as soon as you're able to land double hits, you never miss a single, so I assume dexterity works in the same fashion as weapon pth. with a dexterity 50% higher than your opponent, you have a 100% chance to land 1 blow. 51% higher gives you 100% to land the first blow, and 1% to land a second.

It has been suggested that the chance to land the second blow is capped at or around 65%.

With the recent change to evasion (no longer capped at attackers pth) every point of evasion you have over your opponents pth (weapon + ToA) lowers thier dex chance to hit by 1%.

Theoretically, if you had a pair of DB s that were +165 larger than your opponents pth, they should be unable to hit you no matter the size of your dexterity.

Phew. I think that's it!

miteke [Superheros] June 19 2005 5:14 PM EDT

I think in terms of numbers. Can someone post a estimate for the following example.

So say you had DB +50, a mage with 20 dex, and a tank attacking him with 300K dex and a +50 weapon.

The tanks chances of getting 3 hits is _______________ without the boots.

The tanks chances of getting 3 hits is _______________ with the boots.

AdminQBGentlemanLoser [{END}] June 19 2005 6:23 PM EDT

"So say you had DB +50, a mage with 20 dex, and a tank attacking him with 300K dex and a +50 weapon."

Good question... It's answer will depend on how pth stacks with the possible 65% cap for a second dex hit.

With no DB s and the stats above;

The tank will hit the first dex hit 100% of the time.

From there, he has a 65% chance of a dex based hit and a 50% chance of a pth based hit. It's possible these stack to give him a 100% of a second hit with a 15% chance of a third. I'm not sure. :/

With the DB's canceling the weapon the tank has 100% chance of landing the first hit, and a 65% chance of landing the second. He would be unable to land a third hit at all.

reallystupididiot June 20 2005 2:57 AM EDT

In other words

The tanks chances of getting 3 hits is 15% without the boots.

The tanks chances of getting 3 hits is 0% with the boots.

AdminQBGentlemanLoser [{END}] June 20 2005 3:36 AM EDT


Without the boots it could be 0.65 * 0.5 or a 32.5% chance of landing three hits.

It depends how cth and pth stack.
This thread is closed to new posts. However, you are welcome to reference it from a new thread; link this with the html <a href="/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=001OGk">DBs and Mages</a>