Duel wielding 1-handed weapons? (in General)
June 15 2006 8:16 PM EDT
"i also think that you should be able to duel wield 2 1h weapons but have like a slight dmg reduction for the second one so that way its not to much overpowering." ~ ThatOneMan
1) Tanks would become even more of a NW sink. Since this is the major reason the top characters complain about the "unfairness" between tanks and mages, this would just make that sink even larger.
2) 1 handed weapons already have a bonus over 2 handed, in that when the tank uses a shield, the dex penalty is less. This is enough for some people who use a shield to use a BoTH instead of an MH (either that or they're just cheap, like I was).
3) Why? Sure, some people complain about the game being boring, but that's not me. I love the amount of different things you can do, and with Jon's new supporter item coming out, it'll be even more interesting.
1) Instead of using one weapon and a bow/xbow, maybe we could use two 1-handed weapons instead? I think this would be a much fairer alternative, still keeping the same amount of weapons, but now making more melee damage while leaving yourself open to a ranged round barrage for which you have no return (with that minion, only).
2) UC? I know this wouldn't make much sense, but possibly UC tanks could also experiment with the 1-handed weapon instead of the bow/xbow. Example: UC fighters would use their hands primarily, but strike, say, every other round with their 1-handed weapon, making it less useful.
June 15 2006 8:29 PM EDT
Forgot to mention: one weapon (or both) would have to have a fairly gigantic penalty to it's base damage in order for this to have any possibility of being considered, or even argued about.
I've got another idea, how about Jon just tweaks 2-handed weapons to make them more beefy, so people won't want to request this anymore? :)
June 15 2006 8:38 PM EDT
10k says GL draws his classic comparison to this FORS idea to BL...
June 15 2006 8:40 PM EDT
Forgot to mention: one weapon (or both) would have to have a fairly gigantic bonus to it's base damage in order for this to have any possibility of being considered... by the players.
June 15 2006 9:19 PM EDT
so with a damage penalty, it would be just stronger than a 2 handed weapon? so they can wear a shield and get a massive DX penalty, then 2 1-handed weapons w/o a shield and no DX penalty, with more damage two, i don't see a point.
1-handed and 2-handed weapons are balanced, 2-handed weapons do more damage but a bigger DX penalty, and one handed have less DX penalty.
I should be ashamed for commenting on one of the oldest Frequently Offered Redundant Suggestions in the book, however as this idea keeps cropping up and seems to interest even cbers with a clue, I'll let myself slide (just this once *chortle*).
Are you suggesting a tank be able to hit two different minions during the same round? Otherwise I think the idea of a possible 8-10 (depending on who you ask) hits a round on a minion is beyond overpowered, right into stupid. The idea of allowing a tank in melee to take more than one minion a round down has it's interesting points, but it's my opinion that that too crosses the line from plausibly balanced with some heavy penalties and a high skill requirement, right into stupid once you consider the ugliness that would ensue as people rushed to re-ink to ToA.
June 16 2006 12:45 AM EDT
for 1 handed weapons being able to used in both hands (dual wielding) i would only suggest effectively halving their damage and each have their own chance to hit.
any other way = overpowered.
June 16 2006 1:03 AM EDT
Rename BL to DW. Problem solved.
(Except for the minor confusion that will happen when people find out that DW only needs one weapon to work.)
Vetax wins! :D
Guys, BL *is* Dual wield. Well, when it was a 100% damage increase. That's like using two equal sized wepaons.
Now it's 75%.
Dual wield is redundant. CB has nothing activated on hit, like poisons on weapons or such, so being able to attack more's only use is to increase damage.
Either, a new Dual weild skill will let you (after damage modification and to hit penalties) do less than 75% extra damage (in which case it's useless, go train BL) exactly 75% (In which case it's useless, go trian BL) or over 75% (in which case BL is useless, ask Jon to buff BL damage instead).
There is (currently) no need for a Dual Wield skill in CB.
Also consider using two melee weapons would eat up your WA, making BL the better choice yet again.
So, who get's that 10K? ;)
This thread is closed to new posts.
However, you are welcome to reference it
from a new thread; link this with the html
<a href="/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=001pX7">Duel wielding 1-handed weapons?</a>