- there's a LOT of background material to read, especially about the deities.
- it's TOUGH. not recommended for "my first roguelike" unless maybe you make up for that with experience in recent-edition D&D, which is a VERY strong influence. In fact I would say it's a lot closer to "text mode NWN" than any other roguelike I've played.
- it's FUN. worth the investment if you can get past the graphics. and if you're on CB you probably can. :)
- the wiki is not linked from the main site that i can see, but it's full of useful stuff, especially http://incursion.wikidot.com/general-tips-for-survival and http://incursion.wikidot.com/manual-intro#toc2
- beginners kit and maxhp are for wusses, but i did turn out of depth monsters off. also "roguelike" command set is a must if you don't have a numeric keypad.
- the starting room contains 8 potions along the walls: 4 healing, 3 teleport, and 1 see invisible, always in those numbers, so you don't have to waste any drinks identifying them.
- use a teleport potion when you get into trouble; many monsters won't bother tracking you down. the biggest hurdle is getting to level 2, which will about double your stats.
- the mac download is several versions old and hopelessly buggy. i couldn't even create a character w/o crashing. I'm running the PC version in VMware and that's working fine.