S-Video on Motherboard (in Off-topic)

Newlin [SeeD] March 5 2009 2:45 PM EST

I am building a computer and instead of shelling out $100 for a screen, I was just going to hook it up to my tv. The only way I can do that though is through an S-Video jack. I found a motherboard that I believe has one. Can anyone verify this for me?

Admindudemus [jabberwocky] March 5 2009 2:54 PM EST

from the manufacturer's website the ports listed are:
1 x PS/2 KB
1 x DVI
1 x DP
1 x VGA
1 x RJ45
6 x USB 2.0/1.1
8-channel Audio I/O
i think you are looking at the ps2 port. i have tried to use s video ports in the past with televisions and was never happy with the fuzzy quality. if your tv doesn't have a vga or dvi in, the i wouldn't count on this working all that well at all.

AdminShade March 5 2009 3:38 PM EST

since when are motherboards manufactured to produce video images? >.<
buy a decent graphics card which has S-video I'd say

Brakke Bres [Ow man] March 5 2009 4:26 PM EST

shade, its called an IGP or integrated graphics card.
The HD3300 is on that board he is describing.

It has D-Sub out and it has HDMI and DVI-I out. Both are digital signals.
No s-video out. S-video is old technology and analog signal and you won't find it on the newer GPU's or mobo's.

Your best bet is to find a second hand graphics card and buy that. Or buy a new TV that has HDMI.

more info on that board: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=731&l4=0&model=2321&modelmenu=2

D-Sub: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector
DVI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
HDMI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Definition_Multimedia_Interface
s-video: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

Stupid spell checker. Someone remove this "feature" or make it adaptive. Please! And make ready to start copy pasting those links above. Really don't feel like putting them into A href because the spell checker forces me to use html tags.

Brakke Bres [Ow man] March 5 2009 4:33 PM EST

ow and why mATX? are you building a home theater pc?
If not just get ATX that is the most common form factor for midtowers.

No really 3 words are flagged, of which 2 are in caps. And I can't post?
Even after typing this?

Brakke Bres [Ow man] March 5 2009 4:41 PM EST

ow and don't be fooled when trying to search D-sub to S-video. You need a rather expensive converter to convert the signal coming out the d-sub to S-video.
In most cases more expensive then a LCD screen.

Flatcap [East Milwaukee Devival] March 5 2009 6:56 PM EST

The Vga port is an analog port. You can buy an adapter for 5 bucks or so from many many retailers like amazon http://www.amazon.com/EFORCITY-VGA-S-Video-RCA-Adaptor/dp/B000P3UB24

Daz March 5 2009 7:27 PM EST

Henk Bres 4:26 PM EST
shade, its called an IGP or integrated graphics card.
The HD3300 is on that board he is describing.

I think the point he was making was that on-board graphics are inadequate.

Usually, you're better off buying a cheap, crappy graphics card than using the on-board graphics. On-board graphics are for business computers that will never see a video, let alone anything else.

Most graphics cards, even cheap ones, come with S-Video these days, as I recall. And if not, then as was stated above, adapters are cheap.

Brakke Bres [Ow man] March 6 2009 1:56 AM EST

uhm, the quality of the IGP on this specific motherboard is not crappy!
I don't know where you're getting your info, but the specific IGP is able to play HD content (1080p) and you can play a modest game on it, not providing you want a high resolution.

You might also want to check this:

Brakke Bres [Ow man] March 6 2009 2:00 AM EST

ow and lol at flatcap:

NOTE: Your VGA card must support TV out directly through VGA port function. Please consult with your VGA card's user manual for more information.

That mobo has no VGA out. Its D-Sub. The signal is different.
This thread is closed to new posts. However, you are welcome to reference it from a new thread; link this with the html <a href="/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=002gD0">S-Video on Motherboard</a>