I went to a site: http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/sex/10-things-you-should-never-say-to-your-boyfriend-562952/ and it got me to thinking about what makes a relationship work. Well these are my ideas, I would like to ask you though (Links are ok but I would like it in your words): What Makes a Relationship work?
I have been with my wife since 2000, we got married last year :-), Overall honesty helps a lot, but so does common sense, use the Golden Rule for EVERYTHING. If you wouldn't like it done to you then don't do it to your significant other period. The stuff you would think is ok, think about it again and apply it to the situation at hand BEFORE you open mouth and let forth noise(There is a time and place for everything). My wife and I are on a very high level of honesty with each other but we have learned through trial an error that some things are better left unsaid no matter what.
There is 3 (or 4 if you are religious) Types of Stimulation Absolutely needed to live, especially in a relationship. If any of these are missing then that person will look for,( a replacement), a reason to end it sooner or later due to incompatibility issues.
1) Physical Stimulation(Interaction by touch Including but not Exclusively Sexual :P)
2) Mental Stimulation(Communication is key even better when with the significant other. Sharing is caring.....lol)
3) Emotional Stimulation(Romance goes a long way but it is only one facet of this gem.)
4) Spiritual Stimulation (For the Religious Types)( This is arguably a mix of all of the above for which I will digress on. However, if you care for the other person then you will either embrace or at the very least tolerate their way of life without a hitch. More often than not this is the Maker/Breaker of most relationships(If one or the other is Religious.) leaning in both directions.(Religious or Not you WILL be affected , prepare for it.))
To add a bit more to this there is also the Pyramid Guide(I like to call it, give it whatever name you like XD) to a Healthy Relationship. Even if you have the Types of Stimulation covered without these it is doomed for failure.
1) Trust(Without this what is the use of being in a relationship? )
2) Commitment(Honor your Word! Do it if you say it or else problems are coming for you.(Yes Taking out the trash counts :-/) If you are with someone stay there, if you feel the need to go off and do something with someone else then end the relationship first it's in the hole already.)
3) Communication(Honesty and Common Sense are needed to make this section work properly. Sometimes things are just better left unsaid.)
4) Compromise(Sometimes that argument is just not worth it. If it is not uber important LET IT GO!)(My wife and I have the Penny Save Routine to solve a petty argument. If we both agree it is a dumb argument but do not want to let it go then we flip a penny call it in the air and what ever side it lands on facing up that person wins, argument over.)
and to cap it off
5) Forgiveness (We all make mistakes, besides it is way too tiring to be mad or angry.)
A Little work in all of these departments daily will help a great deal in making things work in the long run.