How much dex does it take to avoid most hits? (in General)

Quark September 8 2005 5:43 PM EDT

It's puzzling - every time I fight "C The Black Knight" I get a lot more hits from his two tanks than I expect on my tank - they hit me 1/2 the time even though I have 4x the dex they do. There's no EC or Haste involved, and no DB on me so WYSIWYG on the stats page. For most other tanks if I get 2x their dex I avoid most damage unless they have a ToA with PTH. I've sent a CM to mastinox to ask about PTH on the weapons, but with a low NW it's driven mostly by the ToJ.

So what's everyone else's experience with dexterity differences?

AdminShade September 8 2005 5:44 PM EDT

ask Gentleman Loser?

AdminShade September 8 2005 5:45 PM EDT

or in The Hitchhiker's Guide terminology: "42"

AdminQBGentlemanLoser [{END}] September 8 2005 6:50 PM EDT

:) Thanks Shade!

My understanding before the dex change for weapons was that at equal dex, both attackers had a 50% chance to land a single hit on each other. Each percent difference in dex modified this for both parties.

So someone with 10% dex higher than their opponent would have a 60% chance to land 1 blow, while the opponent (having 10% less dex) hwould have 40% chance to land 1 blow.

Like pth, when your chance to hit is above 100% you land the first hit all the time, with a percent to land a second hit. It's been suggessted that this second hit is capped at a 65% chance. This makes the max required dex gap to be 165% or 115% above your opponent.

With the nex changes (50% gap between 1H and 2H weapons, with 1H gaining and 2H losing) I'll take a hunch that the basic 50% chance at equal dex has changed to 75% if you use a 1H weapon and 25% if it's 2H.

So at equal dex, a 1H fighter facing a 2H fighter would look like this;

the 1H fighter has a 75% chance to land a single hit, while the 2H opponent has 25%.

I hope this helps! :)

Quark September 9 2005 11:08 AM EDT

Still doesn't explain when two tanks are dueling with 1H weapons - I've got 4x the dex and still get hit 1/2 the time.

Relic September 9 2005 11:10 AM EDT

Just a thought...Are you factoring in the Evasion difference?

Quark September 9 2005 11:30 AM EDT

No evasion trained, no DB's, and no ToA on either side. Haven't heard back from the user on the weapon PTH, so that's the only unknown.

Unless of course the BL is giving some extra PTH now.

Quark September 9 2005 2:32 PM EDT

Seems as though it's a PTH issue, but I've asked the stats to find out more.

Chocolate Thunder September 9 2005 3:50 PM EDT

Well, i just whiffed once on a 18 Dex Character. I too think I'm missing something about the whole Dex/Evasion game.

Quark September 9 2005 5:15 PM EDT

CT - dex differences are nonlinear, so a miss should always be possible. I'm focusing on what I hope is the linear (ish) middle range.

AdminQBGentlemanLoser [{END}] September 10 2005 7:44 AM EDT

G, that's wrong (god my head hurts...). After some dex difference (I listed my testing in an old thread) about the time you start getting double hits, you never miss again. Ever.

QBRanger September 10 2005 8:07 AM EDT


Did the 18 dex character have DB's on? Remember in cb2, Jon changed it to if the + on the DB's are greater than the pth of your weapon you get a minus to the dex chance to hit.

And yes, 18 dex minions sometimes wear DB's. Look at mages and some walls.

Duke September 12 2005 1:36 AM EDT

There something wrong with the equation.If equal dex result in 50% hit% so to have 100% double hit rate would need about 150% higher dex.

AdminQBGentlemanLoser [{END}] September 12 2005 3:29 AM EDT

Hi Ryu, whats wrong? Sorry I can't quite understand your question.


Duke September 12 2005 2:14 PM EDT

equal dex will result in 50% chance to hit your opponent.If you have 200% more dex that your opponent you will double your opponent.Following that logic a char with 80 point of dex should double every opponent with 20 of dex.As is dex is 4 time higher.

AdminQBGentlemanLoser [{END}] September 12 2005 4:31 PM EDT

That's correct. But you would only need 150% more dex than your opponent, as your base chance starts at 50%.

Well, that is probably more or less now because of the 1H/2H weapon changes.
This thread is closed to new posts. However, you are welcome to reference it from a new thread; link this with the html <a href="/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=001Vgh">How much dex does it take to avoid most hits?</a>