Rev's add-on musings (in General)
January 26 2006 7:36 PM EST
Feeling rather random at the moment, so . . . this is what happens. How about adding some variety to game play, not that there isn't enough already. ;)
1. New skill - Thievery - % based on random generator of what additional monies are stolen from the enemy. Different from the RoE in that its only $$ and not a static amount. Useful for those starting out. Maybe even a .00001% chance of stealing an item from opponent? That might be too much, but would be cool. Adds incentive to attack knowing you'll lose, but might get that great set of DB's and would give ex-campers something to do. =]
2. Rune of Protection - adds on ~50% of trained protection, offers some immunity to DM.
3. New skill - Poison - Adds % poison damage on melee hits, increases minutely each hit, making double hits that much more valuable, and eliminates those pesky stalemates as by round 20 you've administered lethal amounts.
4. New DD - Petrification - Replaces those base decay support mages with a DD that if successful petrifies an opponent for 3-5 rounds. Dunno, just a thought.
5. New ammo - Incendiary bolts/arrows/shot - causes splash damage when hit. Chance then to take out two base hp enchanters in first round.
6. New armor - Cape of cloaking - % chance when attacking to go invisible or immune from ranged till round 3 of ranged. Gives better opportunity for those few true archers left in the game. Archery needs some love. =]
7. New skill - Armorer - adds % increase per item in armor inventory up to 10% each applied to overall AC.
K, done thinking out loud. Post your thoughts, or continue on with your much better ideas than my musings.
January 26 2006 7:49 PM EST
4. New DD - Petrification
That gave me an idea: maybe a Sleep spell? Or some fancy supporter item with the same effect ;)
It casts only in ranged, maybe only once or twice, total. If successful, puts the minion hit to sleep for the remainder of ranged combat. Naturally, it could be reflected back by AMF at the caster. Or maybe to make it more interested, it could be reflected back at another one of your own minions, making them miss ranged.
How about a monkey knife fight to boot?
2. see Wiki, RoS
4. maybe if it also made them untargetable (ala time stop)
5. I think Jon is still trying to keep tanks from being able to tear through too many minions a round
6. nifty, needs something, but like would be a good tat rather than cloak.
7. Defensive Stance kind of thing maybe...interesting.
January 26 2006 7:54 PM EST
1. This directly from FORS:
Q: Wouldn't it be cool if you could take items/money from a defeated opponent, or damage his armor, or something like that?
A: No, it would NOT be cool. Not even with a "really really low probablity [sic]," as one would-be game designer put it. This is completely antithetical to the main premise of CB's economy.
2. Why not just use a TOE or ROS?
3. That actually would be a nice idea, perhaps on those lower damage weapons that nobody uses now.
4. Not a bad idea also, but needs to be a very low change to petrify an opponent.
5. I have often thought Jon would add Fire Arrows to the game to improve archery. Sort of like FB arrows that do damage to all minions, possibly subject to AMF. Just to make archery interesting again since it sucks now.
6. Complicates things, I like idea 4 better.
7. Eh? Could not care less about this idea.
Just a questoin whats FORS?
1.needs tweaking but pretty kewl
2.nice idea protection needs some love
3.nice helps out tanks where they need it
4.not bad a bit over powerd but not bad mayb at the most 2 rounds
5.i like it but jon doesnt im sure =)
6.Nice hard to use with ToA but still manageable
7.don't quite understand but if im thinking right nice idea.
January 26 2006 9:52 PM EST
FAQs > Frequently Offered Retarded Suggestions (FORS)
January 27 2006 12:00 AM EST
I only feel like commenting on one of them right now =D
1. Thievery, haha. Imagine... you're the top player, holding a Morgal-Hammer with a NW of over 100 million CB2. You've invested USD and tons of time into it. It just so happens that someone attacks you and you lose it because they trained Thievery. No problem, just get a new one, invest more USD and CB2 into it, that sounds reasonable. It will only be a while before it gets stolen again, no biggy.
January 27 2006 1:39 AM EST
Poison, confusion, and some sort of sleep sound fun, but Jonathan has been taking the "chance" out of the game for a while now.
I'd have to say I like the idea of putting some back in... *smile*
January 27 2006 2:59 AM EST
4) Sounds alot like Cause Fear originally was. It would probably be more of a EO spell than a DD spell. Given Cause Fear was changed to give a straight percentage reduction to Physical Damage and was then removed altogether, it probably won't be brought back.
January 27 2006 3:01 AM EST
I'm with Sut though, bring back good old fashioned luck into the game :)
1) Wouldn't be at all popular. People would just create a no money 'bank' character and move all their cash to it after every fight, just to make sure no one could steal it. But there has been sugesstions of a RoE style tattoo that increases money rewards from fighting instead of XP. Jon doesn't like giving money away for free though, so that probabyl won't happen either. :)
2) It's just a focused yet more opowerful RoS.
3) Percent poison of what? Targets HP, like a melee applied Decay? Or of the Skill level. It's a nice idea for something that does more damage the more times you apply it to the same target. :)
4) When would this cast? If it casts every round, you would shut an opponent down indefinatly. If you had four of these Mages and a DD Familiar, you cold shut down every other strat in the game bar another four minion plus tattoo minion team. Far too overpowered. The original inception of Cause Fear (an EO from CB1) gave a percentage chance to stop a physical attack (or was it stop all physical attacks that round?) per round, which was later changed to a percentage based physical damage reduction. Which Jon has now dropped.
5) Who does the splash hit? The minion directly behind? Or a minion to each side of the target? (This could happen when using this ammo on a E/AXbow and it hits the 2nd or 3rd minion.
6) The Cape would ruin Archery, not help it. Stick these on your team and opponent archers can do nothing. Persoanlly, I don't like ranged rounds, but they are an integral part of the game. Spells have been sugessted to increase/decrease the amount of ranged rounds though.
7) Does this effect armour only worn by that target, or is it more like a forge skill?
January 27 2006 6:11 AM EST
Thievery would suck majorly... reason is that in this game there are no other sources than human players to thieve from
January 27 2006 6:21 AM EST
Thievery? A chance to make extra cash for those starting out? Oh you mean the NUB.... ;)
January 27 2006 10:21 AM EST
all these ideas sound like were trying to turn CB into final fantasy 13 LOL be careful you don't get sued.
January 27 2006 11:27 AM EST
Very good creative thinking so far, I like where some of the ideas have gone, and even if never implemented its still fun to see =] Plus a lot of you have been playing a lot longer than I have and have a better understanding of the spirit of the game and such so most of the contributions so far have been fun.
The Rune of Protection - yes, probably offering some DM immunity would be over the top. But just making it give a boost to protection would be tempting for someone with a AC wall or possibly even that single FF mage.
Skill - Thievery, i meant to imply its additional monies rewarded, not literally taken from the opponent. And yes, being able to take an item would never be approved, its a ridiculous thought that would/should never make it into game play. Was just a fun thought. =] However, being able to make more money earlier would be a nice start, and people would have to choose between making more money from thieving, or actually building the char to fight better for higher rewards at higher levels. So the Thief class would essentiall stay at the bottom and move into more the econ/rental/loan direction than the fighting. Then after building enough capital, they buy a huge fighter and can go that route.
Now a thieving tourney would be totally different =] Any people entering could actually take items. Consider a dueling arena where a player may challenge another and the loser gives up an item selected from their char at random. =] Good fun and suprises there i imagine.
Poison - I guess I imagined it would be something that would hit initially at 1% of level trained, then %3, then 6%, adding 2-3% each round (in additional damage vs hp). So it would be more beneficial on multiple hits and be most effective against opponents that you tend to go 10-20 rounds with in melee, or to combat VA in your opponent.
Incendiaries - would hit initial target and splash to next in line.
January 30 2006 9:17 AM EST
A dueling arena i like that idea very good idea there
January 30 2006 10:04 AM EST
Yes, an arena or at least some sort of "sandbox" play area in which people could do crazy stuff with experience and see what happens. Could even charge $CB for it to act as a cash sink... (the idea has been brought up quite a few times. *smile*)
January 30 2006 10:09 AM EST
I don't wanna play in the sandbox with that weird Chet guy. Good thing he hasn't been around in a while.
January 30 2006 10:53 AM EST
Here you go, Sut....
Luck - hits a random number, between 0 and up to 1/2 the level (not experience, the level) put into the skill. Only attacks once per melee round. I.E. You train a 1 mil Luck, and you start fighting. Ranged rounds pass, you hit a 1. Next melee round, you hit a 500k. Just an idea for random numbers tossed into the fray...You could have an excellent fight where you annihilate everyone, or an awful one where you hit nothing but 2-3k max.
More than enough luck to keep anyone guessing, and not *too* high damage to make it overpowered. Seems to me that it would sort of fall in the DD category, though I don't know how AMF would work against it. That's not for me to figure out though, you guys do the thinking now.
AMF would be fine, it would just reduce the maximum you could hit for my the AMF percent.
If you had a 1,000,000 (500,000) 'Luck' DD and were hit by a 0.30 AMF, it would reduce your maximum to 350,000.
I'd also suggest the backlash be randomised as well. :) It could use 0.4 * 0.30 * 500,000 as the maximum you could take from the backlash! :)
January 30 2006 9:11 PM EST
Yes, randomized AMF backlash effect would be a nice touch as well ^_^ nice, GL!
January 31 2006 7:06 PM EST
anyone though of just changing #1 into a random amount of money generated by game. just add it to gold gained from the fight. Then some poor player wont get killed and the stat (which is pretty cool I think) can make the game more fun and will have a chance to get through
This thread is closed to new posts.
However, you are welcome to reference it
from a new thread; link this with the html
<a href="/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=001gNb">Rev's add-on musings</a>