Contest question (in General)


Kefeck [BlackSmith] February 13 2006 6:33 PM EST

Is it illegal to use the contests for your own personal gain. What if I started a lottery and the prize was 75% of the total pot and then I pocketed the other 25% is this illegal.

th00p February 13 2006 6:35 PM EST

Illegal? I believe so. Stupid and likely to make you hated forever? definitely. =)

QBRanger February 13 2006 6:35 PM EST

Yes,

If you do as you suggest it needs to be in FS/WTB.

Stephen February 13 2006 6:36 PM EST

And your lottery would be almost guaranteed to fail due to lack of interest.

Kefeck [BlackSmith] February 13 2006 6:42 PM EST

I was not planning on doing this I was thinking about doing a betting on sports games type of thing though. Is betting like this illegal.

RedWolf February 13 2006 8:06 PM EST

"To remove the motivation for lame "contests" designed to benefit only their authors, any profit generated by a contest must be sent to Central Bank."

this means, if you do profit, you have to hand it over to jon :-P

Stephen February 13 2006 8:10 PM EST

Well Lukey recently ran a very profitable (for him) sports betting thread in off-topic that nobody seemed to frown on. Should probably have been in FS/WTB though.

sssimmo February 13 2006 8:19 PM EST

Gambling is allowed because or as long as the 'author' is not guaranteed to win.

{CB1}Lukeyman February 13 2006 8:44 PM EST

It was in Public Record, cause it was just going to be one bet, i was keeping for record, then decided to get more, then it was moved to off-topic. And it might have been very non-profitable :p

QBOddBird February 13 2006 11:05 PM EST

I got ragged to no END whenever I tried to make a contest (even in FS/WTB) where there was a chance of me making a profit.

http://www.carnageblender.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=001aSg

Doesn't seem like a good idea, whether legal or not. However, MrSpecialWussJ decided that even in FS/WTB, contests where you might strike it rich aren't allowed. This probably answers your original question best, kefeck.

Kent February 13 2006 11:09 PM EST

What you can win without giving it to Jon is:
Happiness (Joy or Entertainment) from the contest
Lots of Attention

Maybe there are more. I really don't care.

AdminShade February 14 2006 1:05 AM EST

from contests forum policy:

"Policy
This forum is for player-run contests.

To remove the motivation for lame "contests" designed to benefit only their authors, any profit generated by a contest must be sent to Central Bank. Item only raffles may continue to be held in FS/WTB. "
This thread is closed to new posts. However, you are welcome to reference it from a new thread; link this with the html <a href="/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=001hke">Contest question</a>