Tournament 43. Shade's Arena: morituri te salutant (in Contests)
September 18 2009 1:26 PM EDT
Tournament 43: morituri te salutant.
Those who are about to die, salute you!
Now is the time to spill blood, real blood! Say farewell to your wife and children, say goodbye to freedom and poverty. Welcome thy neighbours in the Arena and spill their guts.
In the arena you will be stripped of all of your private property and given a weapon to start your combat with. The weapon you will be given is the most abundant weapon ever produced: A Whip! You will be treated as a slave and you will become one!
With just your one minion and your Whip you will face your opponents, both foe... and friend! Battle among your fellow Tournament Entrants to gain favours from the Emperor and the people.
Your goal: become the Rudiarius, the free gladiator.
To advance through the ranks to become Maximus Carnagius Blenderius
, this is the Rudiarius or the free gladiator, you will have to be involved in many different training programs as well as asking favours of The Emperor and The Gods themselves to increase your experience in combat.
The system of unlocking tiers involves you paying the first fee listed. This is a per player fee, so while player 1 would unlock a better Melee weapon, player 2 can unlock a better Ranged Weapon and player 10 could unlock another Minion. After unlocking a certain tier 1, you can then unlock a tier 2. To keep things interresting, I am not showing the higher tiers until the previous tier has been unlocked, so you'll never know what will be the last tier in the beginning, and will not know if it is really worth your while.
These monetary ways of becoming more powerful, are not the only ways however. By showing you are worthy, the people, The Emperor or The Gods might deem you worthy of unlocking a tier of their picking for free. How to show you are worthy, is mainly up to you, but if a hint has to be given, thinking like a Gladiator and fighting worthy foes would certainly be one way.
And then your most valued prize.
The prize for the winner will be all the items equipped on the character Carnagius Blenderius
. At this moment the item list is not yet complete, but Tourney Prizes is aquiring the last few items of the set for the true victor of the title.
How to win? The player who will fight the most Gladiatorish will win this Tournament, this will be a combination of MPR along with obtaining the favour of the gods.
The Tournament will last for 2 weeks
250 BA to start, no BA cap. But beware, that does not mean you have an advantage. If nobody earns their freedom, all will die at the thumb of The Emperor and the Wrath of The Gods.
Paegniarius, the Whip fighter.
You start out as a measly Paegniarius
, a Whip Fighter. The Whip is the easiest weapon to master as all it takes is lashing out at your opponent from a distance or wrapping it around the neck of your unsuspected assailer.
This also will be the only weapon you will be allowed to use as they could inflict more damage to yourself than to others when used wrongly.
Weapons of all sizes, from tiny to huge!
- The first training you should be getting is how to fight with 1-handed Short Edged Weapons. After you have followed this training, which will cost you only 50,000 coins, you will be allowed to buy and use this type of weapon.
- The second training you should follow will enable you to wield 1-handed Long Edged Weapons. For the low cost of 250,000 coins, you will be allowed to properly wield these weapons.
- The third training in this specialism will introduce fighting with Hammers. Specialising in this powerful class of weapons will certainly open up for various ways of surprise to kill your opponents, or yourself. For the sum of only 500,000 coins, Hammers can become the weapon of choice for you!
- The fourth and final training you will be able to obtain will be that to fight with Melee weapons from the complete arsenal available. You will now be able to fight with some of the most fierce weapons known to mankind, the 2-handed Long Edged Weapons. For 500,000 coins, this training can be completed for you.
Velites, Archers and Venatores
The second discipline you will be able to acquire is that of using Ranged Weapons. In this discipline, there are 4 tiers to be trained.
You start not knowing how to use any Ranged Weapon, you weren't fit to fight before entering the Colosseum.
Children's toys or arcane ballistae?
- The first ranged Weapons are the most basic ones. For 100,000 coins you will be able to use the Sling and the Staff Sling. Use them wisely to damage your opponents before getting into Melee range.
- The second tier of Ranged Weaponry are the Short Bow, Long Bow and the Light Crossbow which will certainly give you a better chance at inflicting damage to the limbs or possibly even the internal organs of your opponents. For 250,000 coins there weapons will be available to you.
- To increase your damage output in Ranged combat even further, you will need to save up 500,000 coins to be able to wield the Composite Bow and the Heavy Crossbow.
- For those who are truly feverish to learn all there is about fighting with Bows, the fourth tier will enable you to master the art of using the Compound Bow. For the low price of 500,000 coins, these weapons shall let your opponent crawl crippled on the arena floor.
- For those determined to learn everything there is to know about ranged weapons, the last tier will be worth to learn. The immense power of miniature ballistae will be yours when you master the art of wielding the Sling of Death, the Assassin's Crossbow and the Enforcer's Crossbow for 500,000 coins!
Murmillones, Samnites and their Armouring.
Using weapons is not everything, Gladiators also need armaments for protection. Ranging from just the rags which are given you on entry of the Colosseum to the epic protection the Armours of the ancient Murmillones will give you.
Initially you only are wearing rags which offer you no protection at all and you can find no better Armor anywhere either.
Having Armor being crafted or imported.
- After offering 50,000 coins to the local tanner, in trade they will request that you will be allowed to use all sorts of Leather Armor made from the hides of local animals like cows, sheep and goats. These will protect you... to a certain degree.
- Offering an additional 100,000 to the local tanners, in trade they will request the silk traders from countries to the Far East which can be crafted into beautiful Cloaks and Robes which could deflect the missiles being flung towards you. Additionally, these traders will also bring various Gloves and Gauntlets which then can be bought for your use.
- Offering 250,000 coins to attract Blacksmiths from around the country will enable you to buy and use any Helmets and Body Armors they offer provided you can muster the price. Finally you can call yourself a true Samnite Warrior with full body Armor or even a Murmillon while wearing your Headgear.
- Offering the hefty sum of 500,000 coins to traders of the rocky north they will make sure you no longer have to walk in just leather boots. This last offering you will be able to make use of any Boots you can get your hands on.
- Offering 500,000 coins to the Blacksmiths which now have taken residence in the Arena as well, they can make true Hoplomachi out of you. They will fashion the most luxurious Shields you can imagine.
Why fight alone when you can fight with many
Why fight alone when you can rally a few fellow combatants into fighting along side of you.
This set of tiers will finally enable you to have a corporeal advantage to your opponents, unless they make the same decision to bribe others into looking the other way as well.
After bribing your benefactor, you will have to enlist the minion yourself.
Fight fair and alone? Bribe people, fight with more!
- Bribe the Cell Guard by sending him 500,000 brass coins and he will open the Cell door long enough to let an additional combatant enter, fight with 2 minions.
- Bribe the Sentry of the Guards by sending him a sum of 500,000 silver coins and in addition to the duo you were, he will allow a 3rd minion to be available.
- Bribe The Emperor by sending him 500,000 gold coins more and he will ask the Guards to enable you to even fight with a quartet. Surround your opponents with 4 minions!
Even the gods will meddle themselves in this Arena
So you think this Arena Tournament is all about getting the best weapon and bash some heads in with it?
Guess again, even the gods of Blenderius Carnagius will make their appearance and bestow you the arcane powers to enhance your own traits, or diminish those of your opponents.
Because you have been raised a Heathen, The Gods do not know you and you cannot use any Enchantments.
Pray to the gods for Protection or Destruction
- Sacrificing 250,000 golden coins to The Gods will hesitantly bestow the powers of Giant Strength, Haste and Ethereal Chains upon you.
- Sacrificing an additional 250,000 golden coins to The Gods will wilfully have them bestow the powers of Steel Skin upon you.
- Sacrificing a sum of 500,000 golden coins to The Gods will gleefully enable you to summon the powers of Ablative Shield and Antimagic Field.
- Sacrificing the grand sum of 500,000 golden coins and your soul will imbue yourself with the wrath of The Gods. This will allow you to cast both Vampiric Aura as well as Guardian Angel at your leisure!
Hone thy skills, train them well
So you think using just weapons and enchantments will be enough? The priests and monks of the ancient world will want to have a word with you.
By performing certain tasks for them, they will teach you their ancient and hidden powers.
Never having seen a monk or priest before, your best trick is a card trick. Your opponent will not be fooled enough by it to work in your favour.
How skillful are you?
- By paying a priest a sum of 50,000 coins, he will teach you the arcane power of the Bloodlusted wildebeast.
- By paying a monk just about 100,000 coins, he will show you how to be Armor Proficient.
- After losing 250,000 coins and paying ever so much attention to the monks, you shall be learned the art of Unarmed Combat.
- By not paying attention enough to the priests, they will steal 500,000 golden coins from you before you finally learn the powers of Evasion. After this, they can steal no more from you.
September 18 2009 5:20 PM EDT
The Emperor enters the crowded Colosseum and waves his hands:
"Let the games begin, food and plays for everyone."
Love it. Gladiator is one of my all time favorite movies, and shade gets MAD kudos for this gem of a tournament.
September 18 2009 5:31 PM EDT
mad props. wish I could join.
Bless you Shade!
This is the first tourney that has started DURING my holidays!
May the best gladiator win!
September 18 2009 5:58 PM EDT
Sounds like fun you can count me in =)
I will not win, but I simply cannot stay out of this one.
September 18 2009 6:36 PM EDT
dont be stupid and disregard the lower posts xD awesome love the oblivion theme
Adrastos (means Undaunted according to an internet site I found lol) shall be selling his worldly possessions and entering the gladiatorial arena for me! Might I beseech the tournie gods for a whip to aid my warrior?
September 18 2009 6:54 PM EDT
I can't wait to get slaughtered in the arena or maybe it will be the other way around, who knows?
September 18 2009 8:17 PM EDT
So can we upgrade out whip and are we to only fight other gladiators?
Yay this tourny will be most wicked
September 18 2009 10:54 PM EDT
It's my first tourney, so I'll probably screw it up and break CB. Oh well, it's on!
September 18 2009 11:02 PM EDT
Q:Are you going to allow restart and late entries?
Are the whips being passed out or do we have to hope that a whole bunch more spawn in the store in the next little bit?
Whips have been given out so far.
September 19 2009 12:03 AM EDT
Not everyone has gotten whips yet, are they being sent out?
September 19 2009 12:23 AM EDT
Ahh this tourney is going to be sooo win :D
Even without a whip I shall fight! /me dies... hmmm let me check the store again.
September 19 2009 12:40 AM EDT
thank you slayer :).
September 19 2009 12:41 AM EDT
Nope, still no whip...
September 19 2009 1:01 AM EDT
I'm about to crash for the night, but I really don't want to lose 250 BA. Any chance I can get a whip sent out ASAP?
I declare that I shall only fight other gladiators no matter how hard this may prove to be.
^Let me interpret
No matter how hard it will prove to be, I will use an easy fight list.
September 19 2009 1:35 AM EDT
I would like a whip to please.
September 19 2009 1:39 AM EDT
BHT, that's the best little grammar error ever.
A "whip to please" and a "whip too, please" mean slightly different things... and your version is far better. :)
September 19 2009 1:41 AM EDT
whip please =)
September 19 2009 4:50 AM EDT
All entrants should have a Whip now.
Some people have asked how to obtain a new Tier. You should have the amount of money on your character in which an Admin (Shade, Slayer or another Admin who is on-line and willing to help) will remove the money from your character and you can use the tier.
Can we get an realtime list of players and the tiers that they are on to prevent cheating? It would just require an admin to update the list everytime he moves a player to the next tier...
I see someone already with a non whip and I highly doubt they have moved up a tier :S
September 19 2009 7:36 AM EDT
I was working on that :)
Who do you see then, is the character retired?
September 19 2009 8:12 AM EDT
About favour of The Gods:
Fighting specific targets and letting The Emperor (being me) know, could enable you to get nice rewards in return. There are other ways, but you'd have to ask me direct questions, Gladiators don't just fight, they need to plan and think also :)
September 19 2009 8:48 AM EDT
is it too late to sign up Shade?
September 19 2009 8:51 AM EDT
Of course not, I would hope to see more people entering throughout the day and perhaps even next week.
Q: Am I allowed to buy an item I cannot use?
Or does buying a tier unlock both buying and using?
September 19 2009 10:08 AM EDT
Initially I had intended the tier to unlock both buying and using but I think I can have nothing against people trying to plan ahead.
Unlocking a Tier and never having the chance to get the item afterwards sounds silly.
You may buy the item but may not equip it.
September 19 2009 11:38 AM EDT
Paegniarii DoS and The Hatchetman both have unlocked Melee Weapon Tier 1, both contestants have become Short Edged Gladiators!
The Emperor has updated the scrolls to display the next Melee Tier.
September 19 2009 11:55 AM EDT
The Tanners are please with the gift from Paegniarius Poutinus Gravius, they will now sell him Leather Armor to his size and fitting. The first step of becoming a Murmillon has begun.
Paegniarius Gladiator Clone has received sufficient training to become a Short Edged Gladiator, congratulations.
The scrolls of rules have updated to display the 2nd tier for Armour.
September 19 2009 12:09 PM EDT
Through training in Short Edged Weaponry, Gladiator Clone has become a Tier 2 Gladiator!
Paegniarius Kefeck has received proper training and has become a Tier 2 Gladiator as well!
Haha! It is now time to begin my quest...to become the ultimate display of gladiatorial fashion!
September 19 2009 2:37 PM EDT
Paegniarius ceslis has received sufficient training to become a Short Edged Gladiator, congratulations.
September 19 2009 4:01 PM EDT
Gladiator DoS has been taught how to be Bloodlusted by the Priest of insanity, may the other contestants fear him!
The Emperor has decreed that the next Sills Tier be revealed.
September 19 2009 4:11 PM EDT
Both Paegniarii Freekius and Veinte Sacraria have received proper training and have joined the ranks of Tier 2 Gladiators.
September 19 2009 4:24 PM EDT
Ignus of Tyriel has joined the games in the Arena and from today onward be known as Tyriel the Bloodlusted!
The priest recognised a fierce but wise man and taught him the skill for free.
September 19 2009 6:30 PM EDT
Both Paegniarii Spartacus and anera have received proper training and both can now use 1-handed Short Edged Melee Weapons.
Wish there was some more availability on Katanas, or even bastard swords... *sigh*
September 20 2009 4:34 AM EDT
Paegniarii Xout, Adrastos and Messbrutal have received training in 1-handed Short Edged Weapons, a Gladiator they will be!
Gladiator ceslis used money to persuade the tanners to produce and sell Leather Armor.
September 20 2009 4:56 AM EDT
Gladiator AoD had been given a Whip, the monks were watching him try hard to wield it appropriately but his hands were too big and clumsy for the puny whip. Fellow contestants were mocking his clumsiness, but the Monks saw determination in combat, this Gladiator wasn't meant to wield weapons.
They have taught him the arcane skills of Unarmed Combat instead!
September 20 2009 5:20 AM EDT
Hatchet buying Katana from Nayab
which is not allowed.
As per the decree of general Tournament rules, Gladiator Hatchetman shall be punished for buying a weapon from a fellow contestant. Such behaviour is intolerable and his ability to use the Katana has been revoked. He shall need additional disciplinary training to wield it again!
September 20 2009 6:57 AM EDT
Gladiator Dinh has been trained in melee weapons sufficiently for Tier 1.
September 20 2009 9:27 AM EDT
stupid me forgot to check the seller >.< Got the 50k again though if anyone wants to take it so i can re-equip though
what can i say shade, all those time dealing with my Reaper gives you big strong hands :D
so i thank you for this dude
September 20 2009 10:51 AM EDT
I humbly beg for training in the arts of Velites, Archers and Venatores
100k is all I can offer. (admin please)
September 20 2009 4:48 PM EDT
Gladiator Demi Maximus and Paegniarii Ak's Gladiator and Kefeck have finished the first training needed to become a member of the Velites and now are Veles apprentices, may their pebbles pummel their opponents well.
Paegniarius Poutinus Gravius has received training in the arts of swordsmanship and is now a Short Edged Gladiator. Sharpen thy sword well.
From darkest Hispania David el Rey emerges and is welcomes to the Arena!
Ceslis has been bloodlusted after visiting the priest for consultation.
Gladiator Hatchetman has underwent his disciplinary training and has renewed his abilities in the arts of swordsmanship.
September 20 2009 5:05 PM EDT
Gladiator Freekius had requested to be trained the mystic powers of influencing strength and dexterity for both good and evil, so it shall be done.
Giant Strength, Haste and Ethereal Chains are available for him now.
September 20 2009 5:44 PM EDT
The Gods have heard the prays and seen the offering of Gladiator Clone and have offered the Enchanting powers of manipulation of both Strength and Dexterity.
September 21 2009 1:22 AM EDT
Many requests were made for unlocking tiers and the Gladiators have received training.
Updated Armor Tier 3.
September 21 2009 11:10 AM EDT
Gladiator DoS has received additional training in the arts of combat and has unlocked the ability to use larger 1-handed Edged Melee weapons.
Gladiator Clone and Gladiator Kefeck both have witnessed the priests turn bloodlusted and have now inherited this skill after being stolen from their purses.
The priests attempted to steal the purse of Gladiator Dinh but when they found out his purse was empty, they walked away.
The monks in the monastery have taught Gladiator Hatchetman to turn his skin into iron and to use his armor with full effect. Armor Proficiency he has learned.
note: Melee Tier 3 and Skills Tier 3 have been written on the parchments to be viewed by the contestants.
September 22 2009 1:05 AM EDT
Gladiator Angel of Death has offered gold to the local tanners, they will sell him Leather Armor now.
Veles apprentice Demi Maximus has received training in weapon arts, he is now known as a Gladiator!
September 22 2009 8:22 AM EDT
Q: Does tier2 for armor include every possible gloves and boots?
September 22 2009 10:44 AM EDT
A: No, Tier 2 of Armor only includes Gloves.
September 22 2009 11:26 AM EDT
I would like to learn the second tier of archery.
September 22 2009 11:52 AM EDT
Then trained in combat of the Short Bow, Long Bow and Light Crossbow you shall be.
September 22 2009 9:38 PM EDT
Just went to buy a Gi in auctions for my tourney char, bid with the wrong char... -.- I'll work out a time with the previous high bidder to reput it in auctions with a BIN of their last bid.
BTW, the first tier of Armor states that it enables the use of leather armor, but are the other tiers also limited to leather?
September 22 2009 10:00 PM EDT
Just realised that my plan to rectify the situation would require special permission of the outbid player to buy from me as a tourney participant. I don't feel as if that would be out of line in this particular instance, as I'd be doing so in such a way that the only thing even remotely effected would be my main char losing a very small amount of money (we'll call it a 12k stupidity tax) with nobody on the tourney side gaining or losing anything.
September 23 2009 1:08 AM EDT
The first tier lets you use any armor which is leather, be it leather boots, gloves, armor, cap.
The other tiers unlock all of the items from that armor class. i.e. tier 2 unlocks any cloak, including rare, and gloves, including rare.
Hatch: I don't think I can find it offensive to let someone else buy it.
September 23 2009 1:24 AM EDT
Gladiators anera and Veinte Sacraria turned their hopes to the Gods and prayed for their powers. And so they received them.
Gladiator Poutinus Gravius allows the Blacksmiths to turn him into a Murmillon and the next tier has been revealed.
SparTick has become a Short Edge Gladiator while Gladiator Kefeck has proven himself worthy of being taught Armor Proficiency.
September 23 2009 3:13 PM EDT
Gladiator Tiny has finally learned how to wield weapons better than the Whip.
Gladiator AoD is on his way to become a Murmillon, tier 2 has been unlocked.
Gladiator Freekius has performed the ceremony of Steel and now can cast Steel Skin.
September 24 2009 1:04 AM EDT
Paegniarius Rudiarius Maximus has finally learned the way of becoming a Gladiator.
Gladiator Freekius was wealthy and donated enough to unlock tier 2 of Armor. Wear thy silks well ;)
Gladiator Nayab is a Veles apprentice but shall be protected by the Leather Armors from the tanners.
Gladiator Adrastos has found fun in fighting bloodlusted raging bulls.
September 24 2009 12:15 PM EDT
Veles David el Ray has received sufficient training to become a Veles Gladiator, armed with Short Edged Melee weapons.
Gladiator Clone has also aqcuired the funds to have the Tanners and Merchants support him with Leather Armors and any Cloaks and Gloves.
September 25 2009 1:21 AM EDT
Gladiator Clone has become a Samnite Warrior and can use all but the last tier of Armors.
Gladiator Freekius and Gladiator Hatchetman have become Murmillonii and have unlocked Armor Tier 3.
Gladiator SparTick has persuaded the Tanners for their Leather Armors.
AK's Destroyer is a Veles.
The gods grant Dinh the power to control Strength and Dexterity.
September 25 2009 10:30 AM EDT
Gladiator AoD finally had the coins he needed to pay the tanners and blacksmiths to make him the Combat Gi he wanted so much.
September 25 2009 2:54 PM EDT
Gladiator DoS has prayed to the gods. While he was praying, a nifty thief stole his coins and the gods laughed about it. He kept on praying without even paying attention though.
They now aid him to cast Haste to catch up with the thief, and Giant Strength to help him get his money back while he can use Ethereal Chains to make the thief suffer.
September 25 2009 8:22 PM EDT
Gladiator Veinte Sacraria has persuaded the tanners to let him shop through the colourful cloaks and firm gloves department.
September 26 2009 5:10 AM EDT
Gladiator David el Ray has prayed to the gods to aid him in combat and Gladiator Messbrutal has been taught to be Armor Proficient.
September 27 2009 5:17 PM EDT
Veles Gladiator David el Ray has become a true Venatores which will now show the requirements for tier 4 of Ranged Weapons! :)
September 27 2009 5:25 PM EDT
Young Gladiator DoS has prayed to the gods in East and West until his feed bled and his purse emptied. He has unlocked both tier 2 and 3 of Enchantments and has them to his disposal.
This has revealed the last and final Tier of Enchantments, look it up in the scroll up above.
September 27 2009 5:47 PM EDT
Gladiator Demi Maximus should consider having himself renamed to Gemini Maximus considering he bought himself a helper in the Tournament.
September 28 2009 11:11 AM EDT
Gladiator Ak's Destroyer has finally achieved to master Short Edged Melee weapons.
Gladiator Rudiarius Maximus has made an offer to the tanners, now providing him with Leather Armors.
September 28 2009 12:57 PM EDT
Lowered price for Ranged Tier 4.
September 30 2009 4:26 PM EDT
The Emperor took the liberty to have the herald write down _all_ of the tiers.
Gladiator AoD defeated Mythical Hydra after 9 rounds of combat
This thread is closed to new posts.
However, you are welcome to reference it
from a new thread; link this with the html
<a href="/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=002sd4">Tournament 43. Shade's Arena: morituri te salutant</a>